Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Post Op

I told Jody I would post here so that the people not on Facebook or the people that haven't heard the news yet could.

Jody made it through the mastectomy surgery fine. When the surgeon came to speak with me I had a feeling that there may have been some unusual circumstances because it had taken longer than I expected. She told me that the sentinel node had been positive when they sent it off for biopsy and because of that, the surgery took longer. What this means is that she removed additional lymph nodes in addition to the sentinel node. This is not the news we were hoping for. Ultimately it will depend on what we find in the pathology report tomorrow or Friday that will determine if she needs to have chemotherapy and possibly radiation therapy. At this point one round of chemo is almost a guarantee.

The second surgery being the reconstructive went along swimmingly and there were no surprises. So at least that went fine. She is currently sleeping and getting stronger by the hour. Most of her day was spent pretty drugged and sleepy from the pain meds, and when she was lucid she would try to eat or drink, but not too successfully. They switched her off of morphine in hopes of alleviating the nausea. Only time will tell if she can successfully keep her breakfast down. I'm sure tomorrow she will be feeling better than today and we'll determine if she can come home or stay another day/night in the hospital. All of your feedback to her via email, Facebook and such is getting relayed to her by me as time permits and is much appreciated. Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. I know it means a lot to her and myself and just knowing that you all are out there pulling for her will help her gather strength to get through this. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Jody and Kyle, Paul just told me today about the surgery. My prays are with you both. I'll follow your progress and keep you in my thoughts. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete