Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Port in Any Storm

I got my port installed today. In one of my many wanderings on the Internet reading about all kinds of cancer stuff, I ran across a blog somewhere (I think it was by a physician) who wrote that the installation and removal of the port are milestones of sorts in the journey of people with cancer. (And yes, I do like that phrase better than "cancer patients"; it puts people before the disease and implies a more active role than "patient".) The port now marks me as someone in treatment, someone sick; when it's gone, I will, hopefully, be normal again. Or as normal as I ever was, lol. Anyway, for the truly curious or for those who just love looking at the latest in medical accessories, this link will take you to my port's manufacturer's webpage for the exact model I got.

The procedure was very fast. One of Dr. Brian's nurses told me that they only reason that they give a sedative is because the placement of the catheter in the vein is kind of delicate; it goes into my subclavian vein, just above my right lung, and they have to use X-ray to guide it in. She said that the patient must be absolutely still so that they don't damage anything getting that catheter in (the catheter feeds into the little central button on the port so that chemo meds can go in and blood can go out when they need to do labs on me). They wheeled me into the OR at 10:20, and I was still very alert at that point since the anesthesiologist had given me the "relaxing" med only a few minutes before. They asked me to transfer myself to another table, which I was able to do; after that, I remember absolutely nothing. I wonder whether I stayed awake and embarrassed myself by babbling for a few more minutes or whether I just went out like a light? I was in recovery and waking up by 11:00.

Kyle and I got home by 12:30 or so, had some lunch, and both napped. I slept until almost 4:00, fairly well, mostly, except that now it's hard to sleep on my right side, one of two comfortable positions I had left. I now have only the sleeping-on-my-back position, which I hate :(. Hopefully, the soreness from the port will go away very soon, so that I can again sleep on that side. And I really hope I can start sleeping on my left side soon; I have tried it most every night with no success. I fear it will be a very long time before I can sleep on my belly again, which was my favorite sleep mode.

I'm not feeling too many side effects from today, just a bit of soreness, fatigue, and headache. I think I will take a Darvocet soon. Peace, Jody.

No comments:

Post a Comment