Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Oncologist Is NOT the Boogey Man

In fact, Dr. Krekow is an extremely personable and quite beautiful woman, maybe about my age, probably a few years younger. I never thought she was going to be mean or anything, but I did have a bit of trepidation about my first visit with her -- mostly because I was scared of what she would say, not of her as a person or physician.

The first thing she did when she walked in the room was to ask me how I was holding up; she was very sympathetic and really listened to what I had to say. Mainly, I wanted her to know about my mother's history (the fact that the first round of Adriamycin she had nearly made her quit chemo; the fact that that same drug most likely caused her congestive heart failure; and the fact that her disease metastasized into her spine and major organs, if not actually causing her death, then causing her to pray for it). So I told her that I was physically feeling OK but that my emotional state was perhaps not so great since the surgery because the course of my illness seems to be following that of my mom. She then spent almost two hours talking to us -- educating us in lay terms as to what cancer is and how it works in the body and why the body cannot get rid of it by itself. She stressed that though my disease may seem similar to my mother's, each woman who gets cancer is unique, and each cancer is unique; no two people will react exactly the same way or have the same experiences. Though I knew all of this from my reading, it was good to hear her explain it, and I assume that Kyle probably got something out of it. She also explained the different chemo regimens that we could choose from. Here's what she laid out for us:

Regimen 1: Adriamycin + Cytoxan x 4 cycles (once every three weeks) followed by Taxol x 4 cycles (once a week) = 16 weeks total

Regimen 2: Taxotere + Adriamycin + Cytoxan x 6 cycles (once every three weeks) = 18 weeks total

Regimen 3: Cytoxan + Epirubicin x 4 cycles (once every three weeks) + concurrent weekly doses of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) for 12 cycles (i.e., once per week) = 12 weeks total

She also mentioned that there is a clinical trial that I would be eligible for. The trial is randomized in the sense that I would not know until I was accepted which treatment arm I would be assigned to, but it is not blind or double-blind (i.e., once assigned to a group, I and those treating me would know which medications I would receive).

After hearing about my mother's experiences with Adriamycin, Dr. Krekow seemed a bit leery of putting me on it. She said that her original plan before talking to me was to recommend Regimen 2, but that she now was leaning toward Regimen 3 because Epirubicin, although very similar to Adriamycin in its cancer-cell-killing efficacy, seems a bit less likely to cause heart damage. She also seemed not too much in favor of the clinical trial because two of the treatment arms include Adriamycin in the regimen; she said if she could be sure that I would land in the treatment arm without the Adria, she would recommend it. Then she asked me what I wanted to do.

I don't know how you would react in a situation such as this, where you feel like your own decision may set you on a course where your life could be very short and full of pain and suffering or could be long and disease-free. It's not a pleasant place to be. The only thing I knew to do was to ask her what she would recommend, and she said that although all the regimens were state of the art, she would lean toward Regimen 3. So that is what we are doing. Nothing is written in stone; if the regimen needs to be changed or adjusted, it can be.

I have not yet met with Sue, who is the new Kelly (if you remember, Kelly is Dr. Brian's patient facilitator; Sue fills this role for Dr. Krekow). She will go over all the exact information about how the drugs will be administered and what other drugs I will be on to help control side effects. As I understand it, antinausea meds will be given to me along with the chemo through my port, but I think I will also have oral meds that I will have to take at home between chemo doses. I will have blood drawn every week so that they will know what my white counts are; I'm sure they look at other stuff too. After they do the bloodwork, I will have the 5-FU every week, so that will take at least half a day. Then I will also have the Epi and Cytoxan added to that routine once every three weeks. Though this regimen will be more time consuming in the short run, the total time for it is the shortest overall, so I don't think I will miss more work with this regimen than with the others. Sue and I are meeting tomorrow, so I will find out if all my surmises about how this is going to work are correct; after I meet with her, I will have an echocardiogram so that they will have a baseline for the condition of my heart before treatment.

The other thing I had done yesterday was the first fill of the tissue expander. Michelle at Dr. Heistein's office put in 60cc's of fluid, which seemed like A LOT. She had no trouble getting the needle into the valve (and it is a BIG-ASS NEEDLE), and I really couldn't feel it going in because of all the numbness I have, but I could see the tissue expander expanding. Right at the end it started to get a bit uncomfortable, but it wasn't bad at all. It only got bad last night. Not just my chest but across my back and down my arm felt so tight and sore that it woke me up at 3:30 and I couldn't get back to sleep. So I went to work today for the first time since the surgery and worked a full day on four hours of sleep. I called Michelle today and asked her whether it would be OK for me to take a muscle relaxant and a pain pill along with my OTC sleep med; she checked with the doc, who said it was fine. So that is the plan for tonight. Lord, I hope I will be able to sleep.

It was great being back at work today even though I was exhausted. Everyone was happy to see me, and I taught a class for one of my interdisciplinary studies professors whom I had not worked with before. I hope he was happy with the instruction. I don't think I did as good of a job as I normally do, but I don't think it was bad.

So there you have it. I don't yet know exactly what all the drugs do and why they work the way they do. I have a feeling that I will learn about and understand all this much better over the course of my treatment. If you choose to take the time to look them up, then more power to you :). I can only take in so much at one time, LOL. Peace, Jody.


No comments:

Post a Comment