Friday, September 4, 2009

First Day at Home

Today was my first full day at home. I am surprised at how well I feel, quite frankly. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not up for a marathon or anything. But I was thinking that I might have trouble just walking by myself, and that hasn't been the case at all. If I'm in bed on my side, I just try to roll to the edge, swing my legs down, and sit up using my good arm to push me up so I don't have to use my chest muscles much, if at all. I'm still a bit woozy in the head and so am trying to walk slowly, but I really am not doing bad at all.

The only thing that's been unpleasant today is that I got really sick to my stomach right after I ate lunch. That was also after I took my last dose of pain meds and muscle relaxants, so we are thinking that it's likely the pain med that's making me sick. I called my plastic surgeon's office (he is handling all my prescriptions) and since I'm already taking just about the only pain med I can take without going to an OTC pill, such as Tylenol, they decided to call in some anti-nausea meds. So I'm now on that, Phenergan, and so far it seems to be working.

I saw my incisions for the first time today. I must say that they look very weird, but they don't look as bad as I thought they would. Yesterday, Kyle said I looked like a Borg because I have a tube coming out of my rib cage, lol. I saw that for the first time today as well, and I have to agree with him. It's kind of cool looking! So I was proud of myself that I didn't cry or even get upset at all. I guess that part of my mind that needed to be reconciled to this reality is now on board with the plan.

Much of the upper part of my left arm and my left rib-cage area are numb; I was told to expect this, but it is rather weird. I get itches where I'm numb and I go to scratch, but I can't feel anything.

OK, typing this has tired me out, and my left arm is starting to feel funny, so I'll sign off for now. Peace out, Jody.

No comments:

Post a Comment