Sunday, October 4, 2009

First Chemo, Part 2

Kyle was able to get my new prescription around 5:30, but when he got home with it, I noticed that it was not the cocktail I had mentioned to the on-call doctor on the phone but Phenergan -- in the same strength as the stuff I'd been taking orally, but in suppository form. I decided to go ahead and try it anyway.

The rest of the evening was pretty bad, lots of vomiting and nausea. I tried to read between bouts but was having a lot of trouble concentrating. I finally gave up around 10:00 and turned out my light. I must have been pretty exhausted from lack of food and all the vomiting because I went to sleep pretty quickly and slept until my alarm went off at 3:00 to remind me to take more meds, which I did. I couldn't get back to sleep right away and so read until 4:00 or so, then slept again until 9:30. I woke up this morning feeling better. I still have a bad headache but the nausea has greatly dissipated. I am REALLY hoping it lasts. Peace, Jody.

2 comments:

  1. One day someone has got to come up with a less traumatic cancer treatment than chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought that people 100+ years from now will look back and say, "WTF were they thinking??" Just like we talk about blood-letting. I mean, I know chemo has science behind it, and blood-letting didn't. But still.

    The other thing that I've often compared it to is the way vets cure heartworms in dogs: just enough poison to kill the worms but not enough to kill the dog.

    ReplyDelete